Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chasing Christmas

So... I know we're only 3 days out, but it still hasn't really "felt" like Christmas to me yet. In the traditional sense. And by traditional sense I guess I mean... that combination feeling of chilliness and warmth that comes from a late night stroll, followed by a mug of hot cocoa. Or when you're listening to your favorite Christmas music while driving with your family through a neighborhood alight with colorful bulbs and gaudy yard art. Or when you're holding a candle with a Dixie cup around it to catch the wax, singing Silent Night acappella on Christmas eve.

Lately, I'll find myself driving down the road, listening to the Christmas music station in the middle of the day and feeling decidedly unChristmasy. I struggle with that sometimes; not being able to capture and maintain the feelings of Christmas "magic" that always filled my Decembers as a child. I always try and catch it for a moment or two somewhere in the season, but often times I'll end up spending more time being disappointed about the elusiveness of said magic.

But then I remember... it's not about cold nights and hot cocoa. It's not about lights. It's not about songs. It's about love. It's about an incredible Gift that I could never be good enough to deserve. It's about the Gospel.

Tonight, I stood on the edge of the park, watching my puppy chase my husband across the clearing. As I smiled at their silhouettes, marveling at how much love I have for both of them, I thanked God for them... and was delighted to find that in that moment, it really felt like Christmas.

3 comments:

Ashley House said...

Amen to that!!!

Katie said...

I struggle with the same thing...the "magic" is so often elusive. But it does crop up in unexpected moments. Merry Christmas to you, Lady J.

dc said...

...Or when you get SCARED TO DEATH by suicidal dolls in Christmas apparel.

Merry Christmas Roommate.