Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Comidas

Okay, just to let you know, I've set a quiet, personal goal of writing 31 blog entries this month. I've tried to do this lots of times before and it hasn't happened. But I really need to write something every day and I really hope this month will be different. I'm just going to write when I'm feelin it. About whatever I feel like writing about... hence 2 posts in one day.

Just wanted to offer a quick cooking tip for-- anyone, really.

I'm a decent cook, but a messy one. I don't do time limits. I can't. I really, generally have no idea how long it'll take me to make something. And I usually leave the kitchen looking wretched, regardless of what I cook. So anytime I find something that helps me organize my time while cooking, I'm into it.

So here's my favorite simple, helpful hint as of late:

  • Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. This is KEY. Don't put anything in there until its heated through. Otherwise the timing is all off.
  • Get a glass pyrex pan and lightly grease the bottom of it. Then take any chicken breast, thawed or semi thawed (actually I'm pretty sure it'll work frozen too, I just haven't tried it), lay it in the pan and sprinkle it with your favorite seasoning (taco seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary, cajun seasoning, whatever you want). Cover it with aluminum foil.
  • Stick it in the oven for 25-35 minutes (30 is a happy medium for me, but it depends on your oven). In 30 minutes, you will have juicy, delicious, mouthwateringly fantastic chicken to put with whatever sides you can make in 30 minutes. Plus, while the chicken is cooking, you don't have to think about it!

My past 2 experiences with this have been amazing. The first, I did taco seasoning and topped it with salsa before I baked it. In 30 minutes, I heated up a can of black beans and microwaved a 90 second bag of spanish rice. When I took out the chicken, I sprinkled it with cheddar jack cheese. Yummy!

Today, I used thyme and lemon pepper with a little lemon juice. While it cooked, I made bow tie pasta and peas, mixed 'em up and seasoned it with olive oil, chicken broth, lemon juice, thyme, garlic salt, lemon pepper and sea salt. Took the chicken out, sliced it and laid it over the pasta. SO delicious.

Just thought I'd share. :)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That sounds AMAZING! As soon as David and I finish all our Thanksgiving leftovers (ugh) I am totally trying this!

Katie said...

Sounds YUM. Welcome back to blogland. (And post some photos of that puppy, won't ya?)