Sunday, December 20, 2009

"Can we get a puppy?!"

I can't tell you how many times I said those words in college. In Nashville. To my roommates. It was a regular occurrence, every few months or so. The reply was always the same:

"Whoever you date will probably already have a dog. And if he doesn't, you and your husband can get a dog whenever you get engaged or married. It'll be more fun that way!"

It was NOT fun while I was waiting.

But I suppose my roommates were right. My husband did have a dog already when we met, but has since given Roxie to his dad. Roxie's a country dog, for sure, and she's got it really good out at his parents house. So we decided that at some point, after we got married, we'd start anew with a puppy of our own.

This morning was The Morning. :)



At 9:30am today, my husband and I drove through the remnants of last night's flurries to a house with a red barn across the river in Illinois. With a blanket and a camera in hand, we traded several weeks worth of Starbucks tips and some Christmas gift money for this beautiful 6.5 week old boxer boy.



Little Gotham stole our hearts several weeks ago, from the moment he snuggled into my arms and fell asleep. He did great in the car (the ride was nearly 40 minutes, including a 30 minute stop at the church to see Todd's mom, dad and sister), he just snuggled into my sweatshirt, occasionally nibbling at my scarf (the one Katie made for me. apparently it tastes as good as it looks and feels) and poking his head up every now and then to look out the window.




Since we got home, he's had some food and water, gotten very comfy with his bed, played with his new football toy and explored the majority of the living room and kitchen while trying to figure out how to keep traction when transitioning from the rug to the hardwood and vinyl floors. He's barked a few times (when he gets feisty and wants to play) and he's gone to the bathroom outside three times! Yay! He takes little naps (always on his bed) and he's just SO good! I know it's only been like 4 hours, but he's pretty much the cutest, sweetest, most awesome puppy of all time.

Right now he and Todd are asleep on the floor.


I love my boys. So much. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Gotham is SO ADORABLE! And I'm glad the scarf is still serving you well, dear friend. :)