Saturday, August 4, 2007

Si, Bailar!!!

Yesterday was no ordinary Jueves.

After Bible study, I put on a swishy black skirt. I pulled my hair up and put on sparkly earrings. I put on my silver heels, which happen to be the tallest heels I own... I think. (And it was okay because the friend I was headed out with is like 6'3 or so.) And I went to get my salsa on.

Not like Mexican cuisine. No, this was Ibiza, a local salsa dancing joint.

It was amazing. So many people there were great dancers! It was slightly intimidating, but I'm infatuated, and I want to be muy bueno at it! We'll see how it goes... I think they give free lessons on Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights... :)

And I made a new friend! Santana. Named after Carlos. He was a fabulous dancer. And he works for WorldVision. And likes switchfoot. Amigos? I think so!

I worked all day today. It was aight.

But at Bible study, I also found out that tomorrow, I get to go school supply shopping, for an unnamed local immigrated *baby who can't afford a proper Trapper Keeper or the 96 Box of Crayolas. I am SO excited. This kind of shopping trip comes in second only to shopping for my annual **Shoebox Baby.

So it's been a good week, I suppose! Hopefully this pattern will continue.
And now, some tiny, random movie reviews.

Pirates 3
While a big part of me loved the ridiculous inconvience of the Swann/Turner nuptials, the ending of this movie is ridiculous. There is no way I'd be cool, chillin out on an island for 10 years, raising a kid by myself, waitin on his Daddy to show back up. And where's little 9 year old Liam gonna go when Daddy gets back?! How do you split one day between the love of your life and the child you've never met?! No thank you. It stresses me out just thinking about it.

The Fountain
If you really, truly, genuinely loved this movie-- I wish you'd tell me why. Really. Especially if it changed your life. I'd like to know how. Because it didn't do anything for me. Not one thing. Sorry. I've heard rave reviews for the soundtrack, and I can get behind that. But the film itself, while sort of pretty at parts, mostly struck me as a forced, desperate, somewhat esoteric attempt to be tragically romantic and intensely meaningful/profound. I can't recommend it. Go watch the sun rise (or set) from the top of a mountain or very large hill... or maybe a lake. It's a better use of your time...

And that is all. For now. :)



*I call nearly everyone a baby who's more than two years my junior. Two years or less, and you're a kid. And I mean it all in the most affectionate way. :)

** Angel Tree Child that you adopt from church or the mall at Christmastime.

No comments: