Monday, August 10, 2009

Hate Song

Today I am frustrated.

I'm convinced that weddings are for rich people on Bravo and TLC. Or people who come from old money. Or people who sell drugs. Or people who have been saving for a year (or years) to plan their weddings. I GROSSLY underestimated the financial burden of pulling off a farewell party/wedding in 4.5 months.

Also. College. College is for rich people. Or really poor people who qualify for scholarships. Or really really driven people who want to be doctors and lawyers and computer programmers and can subsequently make over $100,000 a year and pay off their loans in like 2 years.

College and weddings are not for bohemian storytellers with wild, romantic visions who marry super-engaging pastors and attempt to merge both of their enormous social circles-- and feed them-- inside the lobby of a music school.

I love marriage. I love my fiance. And education is so very important.

But I hate money. I hate student loans.

And today, I hate weddings.

5 comments:

emily said...

i am right there with you my friend!!!

Unknown said...

Here is your solution:

Do half of the things you originally thought to do for the wedding. The facility is gorgeous...and honestly that's 90% of the battle of wedding planning. From there simplicity is king. Just make sure your guests have food, entertainment enough to dance and maybe give them access to some drink-a-roos. On the day of your marriage...the last thing you will be thinking about is programs. No one else will care either. Unless they (meaning the programs, not the people) are ugly...then everyone will have an opinion. No pressure.

As far as school goes...well...that one is kind of inevitable. As long as you are learning what you need to learn to do the things you want to do for the rest of your life....then money is no issue. That's really the key. Loans are loans.....if you get out under 50K you are below the national average for one year of tuition. So...stress not my dear.

The month I got married I moved states/jobs/friends/church and finished a masters degree. I totally get how you feel at this moments. I'm "hiving" for you (that means I'm getting sympathy hives reliving that time).

holla if you hear me.

Unknown said...

PS...this is Todds friend Laura. Just so you weren't totally creeped out/confused by all that randomness.

www.bellablogs.com

~lady j said...

em: we're all in this together :)

laura: you're amazing. and your writing is amazing and hilarious... i could never forget you! :) thank you so much for the perspective and encouragement and the sympathy hives. :) we cut the programs... and the favors. and somehow...it's gonna be okay.

seriously... thank you. :)

Katie said...

I'll echo Laura...it will be okay. If I can get married a month after coming back from a year in Oxford, you can totally do this. And besides, everyone will just want to be there and see your beautiful face...they won't care about programs and favors and food. This day is about YOU, not them.

(last line spoken in Kuzco's voice)