Monday, October 6, 2008

Bat-Pack Hugs

You know how babies get fussy and you pat their backs to try and make them burp?

I HATE it when people hug me like that. With little pats in rapid succession on my back. It really makes me uncomfortable.

The only people I know who do this are older people, mostly aunts or maybe somebody's mom who you don't know very well. 
Also, people who aren't used to/don't enjoy giving and receiving hugs.
Or people who are really nervous about hugging you for whatever reason.

But I am not a fussy baby. A regular embrace will do just fine. Even just a quick one. If you're that nervous about it, you should definitely opt out of the pat-back hug and just give me a secret-handshake-style high five. 

I'm not meaning to offend bat-pack huggers-- I just don't get it. It's awkward. Can anyone explain this to me? If I've just missed something, I want to understand.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Ummm... I think I do that. But I don't know why. Maybe I think it gives a little extra 'hey man, I totally care about you'?

I don't think I do it with every hug, just when the hug involves someone I know is going through something or who I think needs a little extra encouragement. In the form of back pats.