Saturday, October 18, 2008

Raaawr-publican. De-meh-crat.

Can I just say that it absolutely makes my skin crawl to think of being affiliated with a political party?

I want NOTHING to do with it. Either one.*

Let me clarify.

I'm still going to vote in a couple days. But I'm just saying that in terms of everyday life, I am not, nor will I ever be, a Republican OR a Democrat. I just-- I can't think of a worse way to define myself. I know for a lot of people their affiliation is very important to them, or it's at least a part of their life that they take some pride in or find at least a pinch of identity-- but for me it's just not. I'm sorry.

I mean, I'm not sorry. I just think the whole operation is vile. It has NOTHING to do with who I am.

I believe what I believe and behave how I behave because of Jesus in my life. And I don't think my personal convictions don't have anything to do with power struggles and peer-pressure and obscene amounts of money and grown men bashing each other like savage children. I do think it's important to know where you stand on major issues. I'm actually in the process of working out in detail my personal opinions on the major controversial issues, so I can contribute to the banter whenever I come upon it. But I have a feeling, that even when I come to the end of all my discovering and locate my X&Y on the conservative-to-liberal spectrum-- I will still not be able to classify myself as a donkey or an elephant.

I'm just...

(sigh)

I am a leaf on the wind.**

I'm kidding. But seriously... call me a woman. Call me a Texan (even though I'll fight you on it. Sometimes.). Call me a writer and a font snob. Call me a biracial person. Call me a single twenty-something. Call me a Christian! (Even though I really feel like even that term has become a problem and a just casual blanket word for both hardcore followers of God as well as the gross majority of the church-going or used to go to church community... but that's another blog.) Anyway, throw me in the club with the Tall People, the Daydreamers, the Chocolate Eaters, the Occasionally Unsafe Drivers, the Sci-Fi Nerds, the Restaurant Industry People, the Bondservants Of Sallie Mae and ACS, the Only Children or the Wannabe Broadway Showfolk.

I'll own all of that.

But do not call me a Republican.
And do not ask me to define myself as a Democrat.
It's just not me.


*I know there are more than those two. But really? Come on now. Let's be serious.

**Just watch from 1:50-2:50. Or the whole thing. There's actually no spoiler.

No comments: