Another friend of ours had a tragedy in the family... and it was heartbreaking, but the tragedy served as the impetus for this person getting away from a small town and finally doing something of consequence.
And yet another friend finally got over his ex and asked this really cute girl out on a date.
At least that's what it feels like.
The truth is that August Gate small groups have been on hiatus for 3 weeks due to the holidays. And during that time, Todd and I have gotten absolutely hooked on Friday Night Lights.
At different points throughout December, all the people we see at least once a week have gone out of town for vacation or to visit family. The two friends we always give rides to got a car for Christmas-- which is great, except now we don't see them as much! And last Sunday, we didn't have church at all because AG is so young that most of our members still travel home for Christmas. I'm also in the middle of my 2nd 4-day weekend in a row-- which is weird, but really nice, since the last 3 weeks of 2010 were a blur of activity and parties/visits/texts/phone calls. All that to say, it's been at least three weeks since we've had schedule normality and consistent interaction with the people whom with we do life.
But during this time, Todd and I have also really been missing our friends, feeling a little disconnected AND being lazy on the couch when time allows... and subsequently, have barrelled through 2.5 seasons of life with the Dillon Panthers. I mean, in the past few weeks, there have been multiple episodes watched each day/night, usually packed with drama. We powered through the lull in season 3 and were so relieved when it got good again. And we couldn't help but laugh last night as we went to bed (around 1:30am, after watching like 4 episodes of Season 4) that it felt like we were trying to bond with these fake people because a lot of our friends are currently out of pocket.
"We should write a blog about it," he said. "About what happens when you get apart from community... how you get lazy and try to connect with other unfulfilling things to fill the void." I thought it was funny and then we fought for a few minutes about who would write it. :)
Jesus set the example for doing life in community. He understood that the Father did not create us to figure out life all alone; He taught us to seek each other out, to do ministry as a team and to love each other constantly. Jesus spent all of his years in ministry surrounded by friends and they experienced all kinds of tragedies and miracles together.
Todd and I are incredibly blessed to have a core of solid, godly people who love us and care about what's going on in our lives and careers and marriage. I'm also so grateful for the women in my life who have held me accountable and encouraged me throughout the years-- "God only knows what I'd be without you..." :) I want to spend the rest of my life continuing to be a part of community in that way.
So I guess, all that to say... keep an open relationship with Tim Riggins (or Jack Shepard... Or Don Draper... or whoever), thank God for your true, flesh and blood friendships and don't neglect to make time and space in your schedule for the people who make your every day life more bearable.
After all, those epic friendships are the stuff all the greatest stories are made of.
"Texas forever?"
"Texas forever."
"Texas forever."

3 comments:
Clear eyes,
full hearts,
can't lose.
Wait I thought you didn't even LIKE Texas?
I don't not like Texas... I just can't live there (in Dallas) anymore. I could live in Austin, probably.
Besides, "Texas Forever" is more of a state of mind.
Post a Comment