Sunday, January 23, 2011

Philemon

So Todd bought me this thing called a journible. Contrary to popular belief, it is not a furry, third-grade class pet type of creature; it's a journal that gives you space to scribe entire books of the Bible. It gives you space to write your own thoughts and questions too, but when you are finished with one volume, you've written out several books of scripture. A lot of people do them to pass on to their kids or just for self-reflection. It's just my first try, so don't know that I'm doing it for a particular someone or reason... I'm just using it for some bible study variety.

So this morning, I wrote out the book of Philemon. I'd listened to it on the way to work a few weeks ago, only because it was between Timothy and Hebrews. But I actually really enjoyed it!

The letter was written by Paul to a friend of his named Philemon. Philemon was a slave owner, (his slaves were indebted to him, they weren’t being held against their will) and one of his slaves, Onesimus, owed him a particularly large debt. Rather than continuing to work it off, Onesimus ran away. As he fled, Onesimus came across Paul who was in prison for the Gospel. Over time, Paul led Onesimus to Christ and the young man became like a son to him. Paul wanted Onesimus to stick around and be a help to him, but when he learned of his debt to Philemon, he knew Onesimus needed to return to Philemon’s house.

Paul penned the letter to Philemon and sent it home with Onesimus , explaining that Onesimus had given his life over to the truth of the Gospel and therefore been made new. He entreated Philemon to receive him now without anger, as something more than a slave—a brother. He used a little of his *OMP authority and just a smidge or two of guilt to talk him into it, and I can only assume it worked, since we still have the letter. Paul also tells Philemon in the letter that if he wants to continue to have beef with Onesimus, he should transfer that beef to Paul. Obviously Philemon decided against that too.

It never occurred to me until this morning how much the story in the book of Philemon is the same as the latter part of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe. When Aslan forgives Edmund for betraying Narnia and his family and friends, he instructs the other Pevensie siblings to forgive him as well. Aslan insists that the slate be wiped clean and now that he has repented, Edmund’s folly and treachery is never to be spoken of again. He says anyone who wishes to speak of it again can take it up with him.

Paul is totally Aslan and Onesimus is totally Edmund. I like that.

(And I really like that the cd’s I have give you book backstory. It’s important and even interesting. Why else would I have listened to Philemon?)


*OMP is Old Man Power. It is possessed by older men who love Jesus and have led lives filled with integrity, kindness, courage, boldness and love.

No comments: