Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mockingjay

I just finished it.

I mean JUST. Five minutes ago.

I know I'm supposed to wait and give it a few days to marinate. And I know I will. In fact, I'm sure it will marinate longer than that. This is actually sort of an effort to snap myself out of it. To remind myself it didn't really happen.

"Real? Or Not real?" Not real. Thank God. It was-- whew. A LOT to take in.

It's hard when you really like something, to know it's going to end and that it might not end the way you want to. Sometimes you get a good surprise and a proper resolution (i.e. Return of the King). And sometimes you get some good resolution, but an ending that you have to talk yourself into being okay with. (i.e. LOST). Mockingjay is way more LOST than it is Return of the King.

Did it end the way I wanted it to? No. I don't think so. But maybe.

Did it end "correctly"? Yes. Maybe? Probably.

Am I happy about the way it ended? Um... sure. I guess.

Do I feel emotionally ravaged and slightly "mentally disoriented" about the whole production? Yes. Absolutely.

Do I think it's worth reading? Yes.

Catching Fire was definitely my fave.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Worth reading: Yes. I could NOT have stood it if Catching Fire had been the end. Even through every bloody, gruesome page, I kept going because I HAD to know what happened.

Disorienting? Yes. Absolutely. I had to snap myself out of it too. Thought about it for days.

Did it end the way I wanted? Well...not really. I ached for Katniss and Gale to end up together. I can't believe Prim died. I couldn't believe Katniss shot the other president instead of Snow.

GAH. Such an amazing, frustrating, compelling, painful, important story. (And other adjectives. You know.)

Valerie said...

Okay, I think you've convinced me: I'm going to read them.

Friday Night Lights, Zumba, and now the Hunger Games... Apparently all I want to do is turn into you! Got any other recommendations? ;)