Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Win A Free iPod!!!

I asked off from my normal job today in order to be an Rockwell Automation Siren. Gotta mix things up, you know? $20/hr to stand around at this Automation Trade Show all day in the Convention Center of the Opryland Hotel with 6 other girls in yellow t-shirts and skirts. Our mission: encourage all the wide-eyed, wandering info tech (IT) guys (and a few girls) from ALL OVER THE WORLD to step up to our thickly carpeted, giant, plasma touch-screen littered, house music thumping display booth and help them sign up to win an iPod touch. To register, they each endured a 30 second "Factory Talk" presentation, typed in their cell number on one of the giant touch screens and we texted them throughout the day with chances to "win amazing prizes".

Now for those of you like me who are like "Automation Trade Show? Is that like... cars? Or robots? Or what?" Sort of. It's a trade show for manufacturers and IT people who own, run, design and work in plants, factories and all that jazz. Factory Talk is a line of software to help regulate/monitor/program the machines that put stuff together.

So this show was huge. Like several thousand people in attendance. You should have seen the cafeteria. I can't imagine catering something like that. Makes me tired just thinking about it! There were people from everywhere stopping by our booth. (I say booth-- it was a huge area, just slightly smaller than 1/2 a basketball court.) I talked to people from Venezuela, Bolivia, India, Denmark, England, Switzerland, Canada, China, Australia, France, Belgium, Germany, not to mention people from ALL over the US. It was insane.

It was a long day (I had to leave the house at 6:35 AM. My motivation? Chikin Biskit.) and I didn't make it home till almost 6PM, but it was easy and pretty entertaining. I do it again tomorrow. And I'm supposed to carry my phone on me all day so please feel free to write me lots of fun facebook messages so I'm not bored out of my mind all day...

No comments: