Monday, November 3, 2008

Seven Things I've Never Written About

1. In our old house, our beta fish, Boca, got used to sitting in the window all day long. He was perched there for over a year. And apparently, he loved it. But now that we're in our new place, his bowl is near the kitchen on our granite bar, all the way across the room from the nearest window. And now he wants to die. Seriously. He's been laying on his side on the glass beads at the bottom of his vase. It's pathetic. My friend Lauren told me that betas do that when they're cold. I moved him to the windowsill behind the couch today and he was happy and swimmy all day. Then the sun went down. He's back on the counter, all mopey and suicidal. We don't know what to do, except... leave him on the windowsill behind the couch??? Weird fish.

2. I've decided to try and connect my 7 things*. So... I did not listen to "cool music" when I was growing up. I wasn't really allowed to. I used to sneak and listen to KISS FM on my walkman when I woke up in the morning. Because of this, I did not really know ANYTHING about Radiohead until last year. It's not like they're my "#1 LA fave rave" but they are nice and moody sometimes and I've heard they're phenomenal in concert and I'm happy to not be ignorant of them anymore.

3. I love quoting lines from movies. A lot of times I'll do it even when nobody gets it. I taught my mother this game and she's actually become quite good at it. Once, she left the sink on in my bathroom and flooded the countertop but I forgave her immediately because she flipped a coin into my hands and said "Sorry bout the mess."

4. I am a huge Star Wars fan, but I do not own all six movies. In fact, I only own ONE on dvd. (And I have the 20th anniversary re-release of the original trilogy on VHS. In the gold Vader box.)  For the longest time, they were just too expensive. And then when the prequels were released, I figured I'd wait for the newfangled,  special-feature ridden set of six to come out. (And I think they're actually selling that now... as two sets? At Target? Maybe?) The past few years, if I feel like watching the movies when they aren't on tv, I borrow them from someone. I continue in this manner because I'm utterly convinced that my future husband already owns the movies. It would be pretty absurd if I married someone who didn't. It's a running joke now, but if you've known me for any grand length of time, this makes sense to you. In fact, you've probably heard me say it.

5. Lately, I'm pretty stressed out by the high numbers of engaged and married and pregnant people on my facebook list. It makes me feel like there's something wrong with me or like I'm running behind or something. I know that's not true on either count. Those people are just on a totally different track than I am right now. And most of the time I'm okay with that. But every now and then I find myself pausing to watch their race and wondering furiously... (furious like intense, not angry.)

6. Things that make me angry include: slow drivers, cigarette smoke in my face/lungs, drug abuse, child abuse, losing things, when people get so calloused that they're content to laugh at things that aren't funny, blinking lights in a room where I'm trying to sleep, Hummers, racism, "religious people", gum stuck to plates, cold dirty water, skanks who throw themselves at guys, parents who try to be bffs with their kids instead of parenting them, The Hills and other reality shows about rich people and most popular hip-hop music of the past 3 years.

7. I've lived in Nashville for three years this June. Annnnd I'm still figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing. Crazy. But I figure as long as I figure it out in 5 years, I'm okay.

Though it would be nice to begin my second quarter of life with some direction...

Dani tagged me. I tag Joey, Brandi and Annie.




* If you totally lost me in the first few connections: Weird Fish is on the Radiohead album "In Rainbows". "#1 LA fave rave" is a That Thing You Do! reference, and "Sorry bout the mess." is a Han Solo line from Episode 4.

2 comments:

Prosso said...

What am I supposed to do?

dc said...

I love you, baby. This post made me miss our movie-referencing household and suicidal pets.