Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Blurbs

So, it's 12th Night. The first day of my very first Mardi Gras season in Soulard. FYI, Soulard is home to the largest Mardi Gras celebrations in the country, outside of Louisiana. The money that our neighborhood bars and businesses make during Mardi Gras gives them a cushion for the entire rest of the year. I may have mentioned before that our apartment is on the local parade route. There are still beads in our tree from last year. We'll see how it goes!

***

Gotham is a trip. A couple of days ago, he was chewing on a fake flower arrangement in the foyer of our apartment. Todd told him to leave it and come on, but 30 minutes later when they were playing, Todd called him, and instead of bounding across the floor, Gotham dry heaved for a second and then threw up a handful of kibble and a plastic flower. I laughed out loud when Todd told me the story and I laughed out loud again while typing it. :) Silly kid.

Gotham is 9 weeks old today and might as well be a toddler. He can go up and down all the stairs in our building, he's teething like a baby dragon, doing really good with potty training most of the time, chewing on anything that's on his level, whining when he wants on the couch, but NOT when he needs to go out, sleeping on his back with his paws in the air and eating anything he can get in his mouth. He's also learned to sit and stay (and he does it most of the time). Also, as of this week, Gotham and I have the same favorite pillows. We have these really soft, cuddly, cream-colored fuzzy pillows that we got as wedding gifts and while he's napping beside me, he always readjusts every few minutes, inching over until he has his face in one of them. Then he'll go to sleep. I mean, I don't blame him. But those are for my face. Not his.

***

I just flipped through every one of my Real Simple magazines from 2009. I pulled out all the recipes and a few articles that were still interesting and relevant... I know I'll use some of the recipes, but I also know there's a good chance I'll barely look at this binder i'm putting together... so why is it so hard to throw them away?! I felt bad! I think it's because the layout and design of Real Simple is so unique and lovely that each issue feels like a work of art. I'd keep them if I had space, but it's probably better that I pare them down anyway...

***

It's snowing. Quite a bit. I mean, it's no Austria, but the Texas girl in me still thinks it's a LOT. I'm glad I don't work till 11am tomorrow, hopefully the roads will be clear. The snow is gorgeous but it's HARD to stop in. Even in the Element. (Which has brand new, shiny Missouri plates as of today, thankyouverymuch.)

***

At my job, I have to take pictures of everyone who comes through to go up in the Arch. I realized tonight while "watching" the People's Choice awards that if Hugh Jackman, Matthew Morrison or Josh Holloway (or Matthew Fox, really) came through the Arch with their families? I would NOT be functional. I would completely freeze up. Taye Diggs and Ewan McGregor would have the same effect. Josh and Matt Fox would freak me out because I love LOST and I especially love Sawyer. The rest would freak me out because they have beautiful man voices and they've been in major Broadway musicals.

1 comment:

from the author said...

I think about your blog posts when I'm writing mine about my new pet, Sanity. I kind of hate when people write about their new animals (because generally they all sound the same), but then I realized after taking the millionth picture of my kitten, that it's kind of a compulsion. Anyhow, I totally understand the new puppy love and I'm glad to hear about it!