And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
When I read this, I thought, "There are pieces of this scene left out..."
The verse right after this is Adam's "flesh of my flesh, bone of my bones" speech.
But I find it hard to believe that Adam just woke up and spit that, just seconds after his super-invasive rib surgery. I think there was a little moment in between that was omitted because it was so sweet and intimate that... maybe words couldn't do it justice.
I think God brought Eve to Adam while he was still sleeping. And I'd like to think that He gave her a few moments to herself to take in the sight of him before He woke him up.
Eve takes her first breath and opens her eyes, all brand-new. Having taken a quick glance around the garden, she's still recovering from having her mind blown by the sheer perfection of it all when she turns around-- and there's her man. The one she was made for; a picture of perfection, epically handsome and sleeping like a rock.
Eve takes her first breath and opens her eyes, all brand-new. Having taken a quick glance around the garden, she's still recovering from having her mind blown by the sheer perfection of it all when she turns around-- and there's her man. The one she was made for; a picture of perfection, epically handsome and sleeping like a rock.
His mouth was probably hanging open a little.
His hair was probably a wreck.
And in spite of-- actually, probably because of-- those things, I bet she adored every inch of him instantly.
I think something about that very first moment seeped into the fiber of Eve's being, into her blood, and subsequently, into the blood of every woman who has ever lived.
And I think that whatever molecule of being it is that carries the sentiments she felt in that moment, is still active and present in every woman who has ever looked on a sleeping man and felt her heart melt a little bit.
3 comments:
Julie! Ok, so I haven't talked to you in forever, but I thought I should let you know that I still read your blog :) And I think it's wonderful and creative—like you!
Yes. :)
I thought of you and your soft spot for sleeping fellas the other night when mine fell asleep on the couch... funny that you would post this so soon after.
Love you!
Post a Comment