A "Such A Time As This" Story
On Wednesday night, I pulled into my driveway after work. As I got out of the car, I noticed our next door neighbor out "walking" his dog in the front yard. I've yet to meet this kid, as we've only lived here about a month and I have sort of a wild schedule. Anyway, he's a good-looking guy, about 25 or so, a bit shorter than me, always working on his car or mowing the lawn, and always without a shirt. (He claims to be allergic. Mmhmm.) He said/sort-of-slurred hello to me across the lawn and as an afterthought, asked my name. I responded, commenting on the fact that it was strange we hadn't officially met yet. I dropped my shoes, my keys and my apron in the house and flipped on the porch light as he and the pup came across the lawn. We shook hands and I learned that his name was Clint, and that his adorable five-month old German Shepherd/Husky mix's name is Mojo. :) Wicked cute.
Anyway, I'm standing in my socks, in the flower beds on my front lawn, talking to this man who I can now tell is clearly wasted. He starts talking and all of a sudden, confessing that he "doesn't even know me and I prolly don't want to hear this", he starts telling me about what's going on in his life, how he's sad because he has to "go away" and by the time he gets back, he won't even recognize his dog. Turns out he's headed to jail for five months for "[getting] angry and doin' something stupid". I didn't inquire the nature of his offense, but instantly felt sympathy for him. I told him that my roommates and I are a praying household, and that we'd be lifting him up during this really craptastic time in his life. And I reassured him that I wasn't just saying that, but that it would actually be done, on a daily basis. He was kind of shocked and very appreciative. He told me he prays every night before bed, mostly about his problems, and I encouraged him to keep talking to God, about anything he wanted, because he would always be heard.
We chatted/he rambled a bit more, and I played with Mojo a bit. After about 10 minutes had passed, we were about to part ways when I told him again that I'd be praying for him. It struck me then that I should pray for him immediately. So I asked him if I could, and while taken aback, he instantly agreed to it. I prayed for his strength, his protection, his heart, his will and his faith.
When I finished, he was sort of quiet. Then he thanked me very sincerely and asked me what church I attended. I told him about Grace, as it is a haven for many young men (and women-- and older men and women!) much like him. I invited him and gave him my number and told him he was welcome to ride with or follow my roommate and I on Sunday morning. He seemed very interested in the possibility, and after that, we shook hands again and parted ways.
When I walked inside, I realized that those 15 minutes were the best part of my day. What a joy to be used by God! To point someone so disheartened in the direction of his Creator! Wow. I was so grateful for that moment. I don't even know if Clint remembered our exchange the next morning, but I've been praying for him, and you're welcome to join me. If all the drama we've been through with this house was simply to remind Clint that Jesus loves him and is with him always? It's been worth it.
An Imaginary Car Chase Story
I made a new friend this week. He's Irish (descended from-- no accent, but can fake it pretty convincingly). He's visiting from Wisconsin, and he has long coppery orange wavy hair and freckles. He's also hysterical-- and can spin a car around 180 degrees and then drive it in the opposite direction.
How do I know this?
He showed me a video on his phone of him doing just that in a snowy parking lot in WI.
...and then (after a tic of deliberation) I let him do it to my car.
We were in the parking lot behind Target in Franklin, started out going backwards at about 20? mph. Then he ripped the wheel around, heading us in the other direction (made a magnificent screech) and sent us flying forward and away from the scene of the (noise) crime.
I know, I know-- one day my "man, this'll make for a great story" excuse is going to get me in mad trouble... but isn't that cool?!?!
By the way, his name is Adam.
I mean, of course it is! ;)
A Delightfully Unfair Story
Okay, clearly my roommate (Kisha-- well, Holly too, but this story is about Kisha) is beautiful. But this is exactly how beautiful (and divinely favored) she is:
Last night, she and I were driving home from Chili's and we got pulled over because her left tail light was out. The popo had noticed this immediately. What he did not notice immediately was the fact that her inspection sticker was expired, the fact that her car is still bearing Texas plates, even though you're supposed to get them switched to Tennessee plates after 30 days of residency-- and yes, we've lived here a year now-- and the fact that she'd left her license at home on her bed.
He asked for her license and registration, one of which, she produced. When she confessed to not having the former, he goes, "Well, here... just write down your name, your social and your birthday so I can run you through the system."
So she does.
He comes back. He tells her to get her light fixed, tells her to always drive with a license, tells her to get her plates changed, gives her directions to the DMV--
And tells us to have a good night.
No tickets. Not even one.
Fie upon the day when all tickets just come in the mail and live popo's are replaced by unsympathetic A.I. robots.
Till then, God bless you, Williamson County traffic law enforcers. We know it's completely unfair and we've done nothing to deserve such favor--
--but we're grateful nonetheless.
:)
THE END
No comments:
Post a Comment