Saturday, July 31, 2010

Retail Therapy Setback

Albany, Atlanta, Beverly Hills, Bismarck, Cleveland, DeSoto, Decatur, El Paso, Franklin, Jacksonville, Nashville, Salem, Savannah, & Tuscola.

Believe it or not, all of those are cities in Missouri & Illinois.

Since moving here, I've heard a lot of these city names pop up and I've been very accusatory toward both states for stealing names from other cities in other states. Granted, I don't know who settled first, and I don't have time today to wikipedia that information-- but nevertheless, the lack of creativity is occasionally frustrating.

All that to say, yesterday, I traveled to the retail metropolis that is Brentwood (MO, not TN-- though they are remarkably similar. Wealthy and covered in malls, boutiques and department stores.) I went to pick up three small things-- and left slightly intoxicated by all the things I suddenly wanted but could not afford.

I used to live just a few miles from Brentwood, TN and that required me to drive through the retail area on a daily basis. I developed a habit of stopping and browsing and occasionally picking up a deal.

But ever since moving to St. Louis, where I have to plan a trip across town to the Galleria or Trader Joe's, where even Target is 12 minutes away, I've noticed that my retail therapy habit has been kicked. Outta sight, outta mind. That's good news for our budget. I can go months now without even thinking about adding to my wardrobe.

It only took one trip to the Galleria, to H&M, Urban Outfitters and XXI, to spoil all of that for a few hours. I left the mall dreaming about a beautiful swing blazer, some amazing grey ankle boots, an arty, mid-century looking print that would go great in our bedroom and a lovely russet-colored purse-- all of which I could not afford. Then I dropped in at Trader Joe's for some hummus and had to put on blinders against all the tantalizing, yummy hippie food and drink they have to offer-- which I also currently cannot afford. Dave Ramsey, you're killin me this week.

But only took a car ride home to my little neighborhood to come (95%) out of my non-consumerist funk. I'm really grateful that we can pay our bills and that our house isn't filled with crap we don't need. I'm grateful that I wear all the clothes in my closet-- and I'm grateful for the hope and the education that will one day provide me with a job that will allow me to shop for work at H&M.

Speaking of... feel free to show up any day now, Sexy, Grown-Up Job. I'm waiting as patiently as I can for you.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

oh my gosh.

I was attacked by the want for things this week too,

all I could think about was starbucks with my husband, a nice dinner, going out to a movie and a new dress!

eep.

sos.