Sunday, February 8, 2009

Snapshot of the American Music Industry

AKA the Grammys: Cacophonous Fusion Extravaganza of 2009 

Timberlake and Rev. Al Green. A good idea. Shakily executed at first, but it worked itself out. Plus, Justin is so freaking adorable that it doesn't matter. 

Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. I see the logic. And while I'm not a Taylor Swift fan-- she came across as incredibly mature tonight. She did a great performance and she's a good writer who totally gets her demographic. In contrast? Miley Cyrus just kind of makes me want to wrap my face in Saran wrap.

Kanye West and the Afro-Mullet. A resounding NO.

MIA and the Rap Pack was the most ridiculous and abrasive thing I've seen since/heard... since Katy Perry descended to the stage in a banana and proved once again that she is the worst performer EVER.

I can't even talk about Stevie Wonder and the Jonas Brothers. I don' t even know where to begin. Pairing Legend with Fad is such an icky, uncreative marketing ploy.

Paul McCartney & Dave Grohl?

Okay, that one worked.

JT, TI, Drumline and The Cello Girls weren't bad. I liked Justin's  scarf. And the cellos. 

Smokey Robinson, Jamie Foxx, Ne-Yo and Duke Fakir... were actually very good. It was a nice tribute. And Ne-Yo really surprised me.

Mad props to Sugarland and Adele, who totally deserved their accolades for being phenomenal with little to no visible effort.

And to Coldplay-- who are adorable. And very talented.

Also, props to 
  • Queen Latifah and Jennifer Hudson, for looking like sleek, beautiful, old-school jazz singers.
  • Kate Beckinsale, for being gorgeous and classy.
  • Alison Krauss' amazing purple dress.
  • Jack Black, for having a hilarious face.
  • Moses Martin, for letting his dad borrow his shirt to wear to the Grammys.
  • Adele and McCartney's drummer for blatantly chewing gum on stage.
  • Jason Mraz, for attractive facial hair. And a very handsome hat.
  • Carrie Underwood's rockin female guitar player.
  • Radiohead, for bringing a marching band onstage.
  • Christina Aguilera's Target Superhero Comic commerical
  • The quartet of diversely talented guitarist gentlemen (including Keith Urban, John Mayer and BB King)
  • And Justin Timberlake.

It's not over. But I'm done!

No comments: