Book List From 2008
¸ The Memory Keeper's Daughter- Kim Edwards
¸ The Shack- William P. Young
¸ The Last Battle- C.S. Lewis
¸ Velvet Elvis- Rob Bell
¸ The Pursuit Of God- A.W. Tozer
¸ Through Painted Deserts- Donald Miller
¸ Songbook- Nick Hornby
¸ Maniac Magee- Jerry Spinelli
¸ Atonement- Ian McEwan
¸ Batman: The Dark Knight Returns- Frank Miller
¸ Sold- Patricia McCormick
¸ The Great Gatsby- f. Scott Fitzgerald
¸ The Screwtape Letters- C.S. Lewis
¸ The Secret Life Of Bees- Sue Monk Kidd
¸ Twilight- Stephenie Meyer
¸ Pride & Prejudice- Jane Austen
Notes: Atonement and P&P took me the longest to finish. And I liked Atonement better. It was also my second time to attempt Screwtape. And it really was good once I got the feel of it. P&P disappointed me a little. There wasn't near enough pizzazz in the ending for my liking. After all that tension, I wanted a little more payoff. At least a proposal that was more than like-- 3 sentences. I was also shocked by how great Maniac Magee was. That book and Sold really need to make it onto some Jr. High required reading lists. They were both excellent. And while I loved the idea/format behind Songbook, I don't think I can make my way through another Nick Hornby piece. I keep wanting to like him, but I've read 3 of his books and his viewpoint about life is just depressing. I think we're breaking up.
I haven't SEEN Atonement, Twilight OR Secret Life Of Bees. But I imagine I will at some point. I really enjoyed Bees a lot, and Twilight was entertaining too, but I'm definitely not in love with Edward Cullen. 1) I find him overly attentive/obsessive and 2) because I could never be with someone who was cold all the time. That is unfortunately MY role.
Dark Knight was my first graphic novel experience and everything about it was gritty, and written in a very cool way, even though the last book freaked me out a little. And I couldn't be happier about Baz Lurhmann's plans to tackle Great Gatsby. I think he'll make it amazing. He'll capture all the rowdiness and frivolity and passion and violence and make it look like a dream, the same way Fitzgerald so beautifully describes it. Can't wait.
The Shack blew my mind a little bit, Velvet Elvis was okay, but honestly, the typesetting really threw me for a loop. I know that's weird, but it's true. Pursuit was awesome, should have read it years ago, and The Last Battle left me in tears for the second time. But Through Painted Deserts was a FABULOUS surprise. One of my easiest, most enjoyable reads of the year, and in my opinion, Miller's second best, right behind Blue Like Jazz. A VERY close second.
And my first books of 2009 are in a stack on my armchair at the moment. I'm starting with Bird By Bird, a writing book by Anne Lamott (who I've somehow never read), followed closely by Eragon (yes, the dragon book. I've been told it's an excellent adventure story :), Catcher In The Rye (another classic I missed) and The Soloist (starring Jamie Foxx and RDJr).
So it begins... :)
3 comments:
I know what you mean about P&P, but I still love it. I don't care as much about the ending as I do about the back and forth between them throughout the book. I love reading that.
Have you read Northanger Abbey? I think it might be a little more your speed.
You will love love love Bird By Bird.
Bird by Bird forever changed how I think about writing. You'll love it.
Have to disagree with you on Atonement and P&P, though... Atonement made me feel as though any moment I might puke, where as P&P is just lovely all the way. I guess it all depends on how gutsy of a reader one is... ;)
I, too, adore Bird By Bird - it has changed my writing life. And Through Painted Deserts is fabulous.
Keep us posted on your booklist!
Post a Comment