Monday, September 17, 2007

Post Bon Voyage



Okay first this: waitless.org hilarious, occasionally practical ways to save time in everyday life.

Now for an update-- for those who don't know, my roommate Holly recently acquired a spot on the entertainment crew of the Norwegian Cruise Lines ship, the Gem. Along with a crew of 12 dancers and 4 other singers, she will be spending the next 7 months singing in shows while cruising through the Mediterranean and up and down the US Eastern seaboard. The opportunity is a Godsend and we are SO proud of/excited for her-- even though we're missing her terribly already!

So this past Thursday, I made my way to the airport 3 times in one day. First I took Kisha (she went to Texas for the weekend), then Holly (to Germany to board the Gem), and finally Swannymate (back to Australia for a year and a half!) It was an emotionally exhausting day, and with Heather making wedding plans in Florida, I spent most of my weekend chillin at home alone.

And in that free time, I did some thinking. About my whole issue with trusting God.

I started thinking about it on the way home from the airport when I dropped Swanny off. I started thinking about how grateful I am that the majority of my friendships are going to last for eternity. I started crying over the ones that won't (at least not of this moment). I prayed for those. I thanked God for my incredible friends who continually draw me into his presence and encourage me to venture there on my own.

Thinking about my wealth of wonderful friends took my brooding in yet another direction. The divine wisdom of God. God knew the desires of my heart long before I got to ACU. He knew how I longed for true friendship. But it wasn't the kind of thing I brought up with Him on a daily basis. Still, because He knew exactly what I needed, He put Kisha in my life. He put Val & Dani in my life. He put the Oxford Crew in my life. He put Benjamin and Tim Sayles in my life. He put Holly and Jared and Robert and Swanny and Jamie and Barlowe and Tobin and David in my life. He filled my whole life up with amazing, fascinating people—people I couldn't imagine life without—who I didn't even ask for. I never dreamed up a best friend or a posse for myself. I never agonized over who I would walk through life in my twenties with on a daily basis. But He in His great wisdom, simply and exquisitely ordained all these people to be placed in my path. Without any prompting from me, He has met every one of my needs—and many of my wants as well.

This made me think— how many more amazing things does He have planned for my life that have to do with the people and things I have been comunicating with Him about on a daily basis? Namely my future husband, but also in terms of career ops and possibilities, who knows what miraculous stuff He's up to on the DL? If He can perfect something I haven't had consistent dialogue with him about, how much more is He tailoring my future to calm every anxiety of my heart? Clearly, I have every reason to trust Him. He's given me every reason to trust Him. In fact, I'd be crazy to do anything but that. He's the only one who's ever truly been completely faithful to me, the only one who's made good on every promise He's made to me. He's the only one it makes any sense to trust—and yet so often, I place my trust in his busted up kids, and then wonder how my heart and my plans get so broken.

So now that what I need to remember and how I need to act are here in black and white in front of me, I have no excuse. Hopefully I'll come back and read this next time I get stupid and try to rely on anyone other than Him for my happiness and fullfillment.


"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments: