Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Facebook is weird.

I mean, really. Have you thought about it lately?

I had this realization at work today…

I am friends on facebook with a guy who I met in Florence, Italy in 2004. He and his roommate took our visiting group of friends out to see the city and eat gelato and piadini in the pouring rain. Three years later, he ended up moving to Nashville with his girlfriend and the 3 of us hung out ONE TIME downtown. Now I live in St. Louis, and he lives in Nashville with his then-girlfriend/now-wife and they have a little baby daughter. Yesterday, I found out from his status update that Netflix was raising their monthly fees.

Now, this guy is a perfectly nice person… but I SHOULD NOT KNOW THIS MUCH ABOUT HIS LIFE. We’ve seen each other probably 4 days of the 27ish years we’ve both been alive. Yet I know his birthday, his child’s middle name and how much he pays to watch movies every month. Isn’t that WEIRD?!

How about this! I am friends on facebook with a girl who was my bestie for the 1 school year I attended Hillside Academy of Excellence. It was first grade—we were 6 years old. We could barely write our names. The only cell phones that existed were on Saved By the Bell—and I don’t even think those existed yet. There were only CAR PHONES. I switched schools the following year. But I can tell you this girls husband’s name and what color her hair was at her wedding and what color pillows are in her living room. Creepy, right?

Or is that totally normal now? And totally okay, as long as the info is volunteered?

There is no such thing as a mystery man or woman anymore, unless they are completely out of the social media loop.

I’m going to purge my friends list. Because there is no reason why my 3rd grade crush needs to know what I made for dinner last night.

2 comments:

Jonart said...

Amen! I recently did a similar thing, and I'm down to 150. Thinking about getting rid of it for good. Do you have Amy criteria? Like no one you haven't contacted in the last year? Or no one from your current job?

Danielle said...

Bahaha. This is sooo true. Everything about our lives and other's lives is way too easily accessible these days.

My sister had a baby and someone snapped a pic of her getting her ambilical cord cut and posted it on FB. TOO FAR.