Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dear Sixteen...

(jumpin on the bandwagon with a letter to my sixteen year old self... enjoy.)

-----

Hi Julie,

Let's be real about this. I know what you want to know. Yes, you get married, okay? But-- it's not to Nick. He's going to marry a cute Mexican girl. Yes, I'm serious. Breathe. You'll be fine.

I know that's the only thing you really want to know about, but all you actually need to know regarding this subject is that your super hot and hilarious future husband does exist and he is exactly everything that you want AND need. Oh and he's currently playing football in a tiny little town. That's all you get. Don't be mad, I wouldn't ruin this surprise for the world :)

So, I've only got one shot at this-- fortunately, I don't have many regrets to advise you about, so let's get practical, shall we?

First and foremost-- Student loan money is not fake money. They WILL make you pay it back. And you won't have it. So you need to apply for scholarships. I'm serious. Don't be a slacker. You need to submit roughly 100 essays before you enter college in two years. Do it now so you can enjoy going on dates with your husband with all the money you saved. Also, after college? When they send you all those letters about paying on your interest during a grace period? Don't throw those away because they say "This is not a bill" on them!!! PAY THEM! Get a server gig at a restaurant, save up some money and pay on it. Please? You will be so happy you did.

Other things that will help you out...

Love your hair. Take care of it. And buy a 1 inch flat iron. A 2 inch one will not make the process go faster.

Call Mudear on a regular basis. Rig up a tape recorder before you leave for college and ask her to tell you about her life. Record it. Then write it all out.

I'd tell you stop before you get to the Bailey's and coffee when you go to the cocktail party at Jared's house-- but you'll do it at some point anyway, and I'd rather you deal with that situation there, surrounded by friends, than somewhere else.

Any time you leave to go to school or any time a boy leaves YOU to move out of state, even if it's just temporary-- you need to break up with him and move on. I doubt you'll listen to me on this-- but you should. And don't waste time thinking that you'll get back together with anyone you break up with, because it will only happen once. And then it still won't work. But don't sweat it! Your man is making his way to you and he's all the best pieces combined into one body. He is worth every bit of the wait. Okay that's it! No more boy stuff!

If you mess up and do something dumb that hurts a friend-- 1) don't KEEP doing it and 2) don't wait 3 months to fess up.

Try out for a freaking musical at school. Just suck it up and do it, you'll really be missing out if you don't.

Look at the dock number when you get out of the little speed boat in Venice. Make an effort to remember how to get back there.

And my most important thing... keep writing... keep on and keep on and keep on-- and when you come home for a visit from college, save yourself a Blue Christmas. ALWAYS unload your car the moment you get into town. I'm not playin. Empty it all out. The fish too. But especially the DVD/journal box. Do not forget this. Empty the car!

I don't have much else to advise you about, kiddo. I won't save you from everything. You need a few good heartaches, it'll make you a better writer. But don't worry about anything. Trust the Jesus who your Mom and Dad taught you to love. He has some amazing stuff mapped out for you and He will NOT let you down. Talk to Him regularly about everything, and just remember that no matter how you occasionally feel-- you will not die of loneliness. Or virginity.

Each day gets better. Enjoy it and take lots of pictures!

Love,

Juliette

3 comments:

Ginger said...

"... and just remember that no matter how you occasionally feel-- you will not die of loneliness. Or virginity."

I was beginning to wonder. Whew.

Unknown said...

I love this :)

Kathryn said...

This is awesome, Juliette! Now I'm secretly very happy your hubbie posted a link to some delightful words.

Hope your 16yo self learned a thing or two. ;)